This album is a cool jazz album that would probably be a good soundtrack for a poker game. Definitely good stuff. I enjoyed it, and I probably would listen to this outside the context of this project. I don’t know anything about Jimmy Smith, actually. I hadn’t even heard of him until I started this project, but I’ll definitely keep my eyes open for other stuff by him.
- “Back at the Chicken Shack” (Jimmy Smith) — 8:01
- “When I Grow Too Old to Dream” (Oscar Hammerstein II,Sigmund Romberg) — 9:54
- “Minor Chant” (Stanley Turrentine) — 7:30
- “Messy Bessie” (Smith) — 12:25
- “On the Sunny Side of the Street” (Dorothy Fields, Jimmy McHugh) — 5:45 (Appeared as a CD-only bonus track, not part of the original LPconfiguration).
- Jimmy Smith – organ
- Kenny Burrell – guitar
- Stanley Turrentine – tenor saxophone
- Donald Bailey – drums